Thursday, April 10, 2008

I was not ready!

I took the boys the other day with me to Eckerd to pick up some pics. We were having to wait several minutes for the poor little lady to figure out how to put my picture disc in the machine. The boys were being VERY patient with the whole process, actually....going back and forth from the toy aisle showing me cars and such (fortunately, the toy aisle was right next to the photo lab). About 10 minutes into our wait, however, Cael became frozen in place in between me and the toy aisle. I asked him if he was okay and he said nothing. I once again called his name and he ignored me, very fixated on something at the checkout counter.
I looked over to see a little, brown-eyed, ballet-tu tu-clad seemingly six year-ish old girl standing with her mother....looking back at my son. She was strikingly beautiful with dark skin and dark hair in a long ponytail about mid-way down her back. She and her mother paid for their items in a minute or two and left, and Cael came out of his trance. He walked back over to me like he had just seen an angel. I asked him what he was looking at, and he said, "Mommy, she was a very pretty girl. She was really pretty...did you see her?" He had that gleam in his eye similar to that of Mogley from the Jungle Book at the end when he sees the little girl at the stream....you know what I'm talking about...

To quote my dear friend, Debra Achenbac...."OH MY COW!!!!!" I have never had feelings like I had after he said that to me. My little boy had just, possibly for the first time ever, appreciated someone else's beauty. He's six years old! I know this doesn't automatically put him in the dating game, but it's got me freaked out for sure.

It's got me thinking....the first time anyone asks him if he has a girlfriend, I just might knock them out! Is that going too far?

3 comments:

Melinda and Elizabeth said...

oh me oh my sweet potato pie! That is to funny! My boys luckily have not gotten to much into that. Z has had one "girlfriend" and G says he has one now but I have not heard any more about it. Good luck in the years to come!!!

Chasity said...

Oh my hank, yep, it doesn't just hit when their 13....ohhhh man. Where was the warning about this? Was that in Exodus?

Tereasa said...

Hi! I'm part of the MFW group and decided to check out your blog. This post is the cutest thing I've ever heard. My seven year old still thinks girls are gross and I hope it stays that way for along time. Unfortunately, my three year old has already had her first crush. Yikes!